Understanding and exploiting the robustness of topological superconductivity and the unique quantum mechanical properties of strongly entangled particles is a thriving avenue to develop new quantum technologies. The first ideas and platforms, notably Majorana zero modes at the edges of one-dimensional topological superconductors, have led to a richer landscape of systems that include unconventional superconductors, spin-liquids, fractional quantum Hall states, as well as the simulation of many-body ground states in quantum computers. A hands-on session on quantum matter and AI with emphasis on quantum computing will also be delivered. This new edition is devoted to pedagogically present the main recent developments in the field in order to prepare future generations to uncover the true potential of these developments.
Topological Matter School 2022 during one week (August 22-26) will provide extended lectures on these exciting topics by leading experts in both experiment and theory. Our program will be spread in 1 week with 6 lectures per day. Outdoors activities to get to know the city and the Basque culture will also be organized, such a surf class in our precious Zurriola beach and a visit to a traditional cider house.
This is the list of lecturers for the 2022 edition:
- Roser Valentí (Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main, Germany) : Conventional versus unconventional superconductivity, hands on unconventional superconductivity
- Pedram Roushan (Google Inc, Santa Barbara, USA) : Quantum simulations with superconducting qubits
- Charles Marcus (Niels Bohr Institute, Denmark) : First title: Phase-Controlled Topological Superconductivity: Experiment, Josephson Matter: Experiment.
- Vidya Madhavan (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA) : Measurements of topological boundary states in 1D and 2D, STM studies of Majorana modes
- Eliska Greplova (TU-Deflt, Netherlands) : Engineered topological matter and machine learning for quantum applications
- Lucile Savary (CNRS, France) : Quantum Spin Liquids: an Introduction
- Adam Smith (University of Nottingham, UK) : Non-abelian anyons: the basics of tooplogical quantum field theory.
- Jason Alicea (Caltech, USA) : Topological superconductivity and Majorana modes
- Charlie Kane (Univerity of Pennsylvania, USA) : Topological Band Theory and Topological Superconductivity
- Bella Lake (Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin, Germany) : Introduction to neutron scattering: neutron scattering as a tool to study quantum magnetism
- Claudia Felser (Max Planck Institute, Dresden, Germany) : Chirality and topology, magnetism and topology
- Ady Stern (Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel) : Platforms for realizing non abelian states of matter
- Andrei Bernevig (Princeton University, US) : Topological flatbands
Registration deadline: April 16th 2022.
Registration fee: 350,- € (includes 5 lunches, twice daily coffee breaks at the conference venue, and an event dinner)
This School is organized within the summer program of the University of Basque Country (UPV/EHU) “Cursos de verano”. The event is sponsored by the Donostia International Physics Center (DIPC). The conference venue is in Palacio de Miramar, in Donostia-San Sebastián.
Paseo de Miraconcha, 48
Donostia-San Sebastián, Gipuzkoa
Tfno. 943 21 90 22
From Bilbao Airport you can reach Donostia-San Sebastian with the bus service by PESA (www.pesa.net). The buses are running every 30 minutes. Once in Donostia-San Sebastian, you can reach the hotel with the bus service 45 leaving directly at the central bus station (street level). The closest bus stop for Olarain is “Magisteritza/Escuela de magisterio”
Conference dinner will be held at Ni Neu on Wednesday at 20:30.
You can download the abstract booklet here.
Slack channels will be used for discussions and poster presentations. We will get back to you closer to the conference date with specific instructions on how to connect to the Slack channels. In the meantime, please make sure that you are familiar with Slack if you have not used them already. If you want to present your poster also virtually please prepare a pdf version. Instructions to upload them to Slack will also follow soon.
Lunch during the conference week will be served at the Costa Vasca at 13:00, 10 minutes away from Palacio Miramar.
A surf class has been organized on Thursday afternoon at Pukas Surf Eskola. There will be two groups, first group receives the class at 16:30, and the second group at 18:30. Everyone should be there 30 min before the class starts.
Even if it is summer time in Donostia-San Sebastian, the weather conditions are showing fast changes due to the Atlantic ocean. We suggest bringing T-shirts but also some light sweaters for the evening. An umbrella or a light rain jacket is always a good companion !
If you have any question contact us at tms(at)dipc.org
Follow us on twitter